Code of Conduct
Meriden Public Schools recognizes that students who participate as members of athletic teams should conduct themselves as responsible representatives of their school and community. Student-athletes must always serve as exemplars of high moral character and must demonstrate appropriate academic commitment, which is expected from all students. As recognized members of the Meriden Public School System, student-athletes are expected to conduct themselves both on and off the field in a way that exhibits respect for themselves and others.
- Make every effort to develop their own athletic abilities in terms of skills, techniques, tactics, and stamina.
- Give maximum effort and strive for the best possible performance while practicing or participating in a game.
- Make every effort consistent with fair play and the rules of the game to help his/her own team be successful.
- Always know and abide by the rules and spirit of the game and show proper sportsmanship.
- Athletes shall attend and not be tardy for all practices, games, and meets held both during regular school sessions and during vacations. Exceptions shall be subject to the approval of the head coach.
- Always treat opponents with due respect, irrespective of the results of the game.
- Accept the decision of the game officials without protest and demonstrate due respect towards game officials.
- Set a positive example for others, particularly young players and opponents.
- Refrain from using inappropriate language.
- Refrain from using tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, or use of or possession of non-prescribed controlled substances or paraphernalia.
- Always conduct themselves in an exemplary manner in school, the community, and on campus, which their team is visiting.
- Acts of unacceptable behavior/conduct such as, but not limited to, theft, vandalism, arrest, or any violation of the law, will not be tolerated and can result in disciplinary action and possible dismissal from the athletic team by the coach and/or school administrator.
BE A FAN, NOT A FANATIC
Acceptable standards of spectator behavior include:
- Remain seated in the spectator area during the games.
- Respect decisions made by contest officials (they are human and make mistakes).
- Be a role model by positively supporting teams and by not shouting instructions or criticism to the players, coaches, or officials. Do not coach from the stands!
- Make no derogatory comments or gestures to players, coaches, spectators of the opposing team, officials, or league administrators.
- Remember that coaches and parents set the example for the behavior of their team’s fans.
- Any spectator who displays poor sportsmanship may be removed from the facility by an official, their team coach, a league official, or the host gym supervisor.
- Any spectator who interferes with the conduct of an activity, at the discretion of the spectator’s school, league, can be barred from attendance at subsequent athletic activities.
The Athletic Directors, under the supervision of the school administration, shall enforce this code. Participants spectators may be placed on probation or suspended from activities for their actions.